Most life coaches aren’t “typical” entrepreneurs.
The reality is, as a life coach, if you don’t build a business around your true passion and purpose – and if you don’t run and market your business in a way that feels authentic, right and fun for who you are – your business simply won’t work.
However, so many life coaches believe that they need to build their businesses in the same way as typical entrepreneurs. And then when things don’t work out, when their businesses don’t get off the ground, they make it mean that no one wants what they have to offer. That they can’t run a business. That they are failures. And that they need to stay in their soul-sucking careers.
But they really have no way of knowing if this is true. Why? Because they haven’t yet tried to build their businesses in a way that is right and works for them – as life coaches.
Typical entrepreneurs have a passion for entrepreneurship and business building in and of itself. They already have a strong background in business, sales and marketing and are highly motivated by money and growth. They tend to be (inserting my personal experience here) sensor-thinkers and intuitive thinkers on the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator, which means they are often looking for the most logical and “best” solution to market and grow their businesses.
But in my experience, most life coaches do not have a strong passion for entrepreneurship and business-building in-and-of-itself. In fact, many life coaches see being an entrepreneur more as a necessary evil to getting their important work out into the world.
Plus, most life coaches tend to have little or no background in business and marketing. Instead, they are often transitioning from a 9-5 career, and are much more motivated by their passion and purpose than money and business growth.
And, they tend to be intuitive feelers on the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator, which creates an interesting conundrum when it comes to business building. And if you’re an intuitive feeler (ENFP/ENFJ/INFP/INFJ), you’ll likely know what I mean.
Here is the conundrum. Most marketing and business programs tend to be targeted to the “typical” entrepreneur. They often assume that:
- You already have a background and big picture understanding of how business, marketing and sales works at a high level.
- You are looking for the “best” method to make the most money in the fastest way. And in order for this to work, you tend to need to implement the recommended solutions exactly. For example, “call three new people every day and read them this script”, “go to X networking sessions per month and make sure you ask for the sale”, or “put up this exact ad on Facebook driving to three webinars a month where you ask for the sale”.
- You’ve run other businesses before. So that means with this new business, you’re ready to “rock it out” and make 6 or 7 figures in the first year.
- While you may be motivated by a bigger passion and purpose, you are also highly motivated by money, growth and business building.
And this is why most marketing and business programs don’t work for life coaches.
Instead of advanced marketing courses and the best solution to make the most money the fastest, if you’re like most life coaches, what you need instead is:
- A realistic career to business transition plan that gives you a sigh of relief
- Clarity on who you are, including your true passion, purpose, and unique flow & genius
- An understanding of business, marketing & being an entrepreneur at a big picture level – so everything clicks
- Practical knowledge of business & marketing basics so you know how to build the right foundation
- The ability to customize every aspect of your business & marketing to who you are and how you work best
- Focus on incrementally building a business that stays true and aligned with who you are & what you truly want
How Brain Ergonomics Can Help Life Coaches Love What They Do:
The bottom line is that life coaches not only need to feel a strong passion and purpose around what they do, but also need to feel energized, inspired and authentic when it comes to running and marketing their businesses every day.
And that’s where the concept of Ergonomics comes in. Just like experts have used physical ergonomics for years to design workplaces that are more in line with how people naturally function in order to free up more energy and inspire productivity – we can do the same with our minds.
The reality is that we all have a natural flow state & genius that is unique to who we are. And when you align every aspect of your business around who you truly are, what you want, and how you naturally work best – you naturally free up more energy and feel more motivated, inspired and in flow. It’s the key to loving what you do.
Grab my new eBook, Love Your Business, where I talk about how to set the right business expectations – and outline the seven steps new life coaches need to take to transition from their 9-5 job and design, market & run a life coaching business you love: